The ways to resolve the issue of the violation of environmental rights of the Ukrainians
- Legislative and regulatory framework for the protection of the rights of Ukrainian citizens to satisfactory and healthy environment, freedom of information on the environmental condition, quality of food products and household items – available.
- Freedom of information as well as the information on the actual environmental condition, quality of food products and household items – not available.
- Executive power and supervisory bodies have a vested interest in suppressing information on the real environmental situation, as any environmental disaster or violation of environmental safety is their direct or indirect fault.
- They must seek the source of violations.
- Social movement by means of independent environmental laboratories is monitoring the actual environmental condition, quality of food products and household items and gathers information on environmentally hazardous facilities, storage sites, burial ground disposals and recovery of hazardous wastes, etc.
- A network of environmental information and analytical database on the environmental condition, environmentally hazardous facilities, storage locations, warehousing, recovering and disposal of hazardous wastes by regions of Ukraine is being created for public access. There is a provision of information to the population of Ukraine through media, leaflets, brochures and other information sources concerning the real environmental situation.
- The task of the social movement is to make the potential polluters adjust their production to minimization of emissions, discharges and hazardous wastes generation, rather than to stop the economic activities thereof.
- If a business entity works to minimize emissions, discharges and hazardous wastes, the social movement supports and assists it.
- If a business entity refuses to work on minimization of emissions, discharges and hazardous wastes and does not accept the requirements of the social movement, then, in accordance with the laws, the social movement by means of all regulatory agencies (sanitary and epidemiological station, environmental protection, public prosecution office, etc.) or by judicial means shall seek for the termination of economic activities of environmentally unsound production.
- Where there are ascertained facts of environmental pollution, according to analysis of an independent accredited environmental laboratory, there are grounds for the calculation of damage caused to the environment and human health, which may give rise to the criminal prosecution of the officials and termination of economic activities.