Environmental disaster in Ukraine in figures!!!
- 37 bln tons of various waste are accumulated in Ukraine;
- 5 bln tons of highly toxic waste are stored in open areas;
- 130 mln tons of radioactive waste are stored in open areas near water basins;
- 1 mln tons of radioactive scrap took out from the Chernobyl zone are stored in the backyards, industrial sites and remelted in metallurgic plants;
- 360 mln m3 voids are located under human settlements, roads, land and formed as a result of extraction of minerals;
- 1,5 mln tons of unusableammunition requiring immediate disposition are kept in stock;
- 16K tons of highly toxic and explosive rocket fuel (melange) are in critical condition;
- 200K ha of fertile land are held by waste storage;
- 28K tons of spent lead-acid and alkaline electrolytes with suspensions of heavy metals are annually discharged in the ground;
- 50K tons of pesticides and agricultural chemicals (highly toxic substances) do not belong to anyone and are stored in the open air;
- 100 mine waste are permanently on fire, polluting the air with dust and combustion products (nitrogen dioxide, hydrogen sulfide and sulfuric anhydride);
- 90% of surface water is not suitable for potable water treatment;
- 95% of drinking water in Ukraine is unfit for consumption, nonetheless people drink it;
- 70% of food produced in Ukraine is dangerous for human consumption;
- 75% of materials used in construction do not meet sanitary requirements;
- 80% of foodstuff imported in Ukraine do not meet sanitary requirements;
- 75% alcoholic beverages sold in retail chain do not meet the requirements of manufacturers (forgery);
- 90% of oil products sold at gas stations do not meet the technical and environmental requirements;
- 23% of the territory of Ukraine is in the area of submergence, landslides and subsidence;
- 70% of tube transport system of Ukraine (gas pipeline, oil pipeline, ammonia line) is worn-out;
- 60% of medicines sold in retail chains are substandard.
- 780-800 mln tons of wastes are generated;
- 480-800 mln tons of wastes are buried;
- 50 mln tons of toxic substances are discharged in the air;
- 12 mln tons of toxic substances are discharged in the surface water;
- 50 mln tons of toxic substances reach the ground water and soil;
- 12 bln m3 of crude sewage is discharged into the surface waters.
ІІІ. Per one Ukrainian, there are:
- 800 tonsof various wastes;
- 110 tons of highly toxic wastes;
- 3 tons of radioactive wastes;
- 1 ton of toxic substances from the atmosphere.